WON objectives will be achieved through 4 technical and 3 non-technical Work Packages (WPs)
WP1: Network management: planning and control
- Develop physical-layer aware tools for network planning and control;
- Develop machine-learning methods to enhance the accuracy of the physical-layer aware tools;
- Propose routing, channel format and spectrum assignment algorithms, tailored for wideband transmission;
- Perform techno-economic analysis leveraging the wideband transmission components.
ESRs involved: Rasoul Sadeghi Yamchi, Thyago Monteiro, Bruno Correia and Elliot London.
WP2: Digital signal processing and system modelling
- Identify the most efficient DSP techniques to compensate for the impairments of wideband components;
- Enable compensation of wideband fiber propagation impairments (e.g., by using deep learning);
- Develop a generalized Gaussian noise model from O- to L-band and for short and long-reach;
- Estimation and monitoring of component and fibre parameters for wideband systems.
ESRs involved: Rasoul Sadeghi Yamchi, Thyago Monteiro, Bruno Correia, Elliot London, Gabriele Di Rosa, Yu Wang and Matheus Sena.
WP3: In-line components design
- Capture system and design requirements of broadband Raman and Bi-doped fibre amplifiers and produce physical models;
- Implementation and characterisation of the wideband Raman and Bi-doped amplifiers;
- Evaluation of the wideband amplifiers in ultra-high speed coherent transmission systems.
ESRs involved: Gabriele Di Rosa, Pratim Hazarika, Yu Wang, Rafael Kraemer, Aleksandr Donodin.
WP4: Transceiver components design
- Design of broadband 1×2 and 2×2 MMI with low insertion loss from O- to L-band;
- Design of spot-size converters and anti-reflection coatings capable of O- to L-band operation;
- Design of automatic transmitter impairment estimation;
- Design and realization of an integrated array of widely tunable lasers on a silicon photonic integrated circuit.
ESRs involved: Gabrilele Di Rosa, Matheus Sena, Yaonian Cui, Emadreza Soltanian.
WP5: Innovative personal career training
To provide high quality training to ESRs exposing them to inter-disciplinary and inter-sectoral training from academic to industry, therefore providing the skills required for a successful future career both in industry and academic sector.
ESRs involved: All
WP6: Dissemination, exploitation and outreach
Ensure the dissemination, exploitation and outreach of WON accomplishments to the research and industrial sectors.
ESRs involved: All
WP7: Management and governance
- Ensure that WON accomplishes the proposed objectives within the budget and time-frame set out;
- Provide legal and ethical framework through the production of the Consortium Agreement;
- Evaluate risk assessments.